Ginger Health Benefits: Updated 21st June 2019
Ginger is a spice and a medicinal herb that has been used for more than 5,000 years. Using ginger in various treatment was an old age tradition.
It has so many benefits for both skin and body that; it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint it uses. In most cultures, it is largely used in cooking for flavor and smell.
It was first originated from the Indian subcontinent to South-east Asia and is widely cultivated now; throughout the globe.
Since it’s first discovery, it has been used in so many ways; in treating many ailments and in today’s world, many people used it as a beauty regime too.
Components of Ginger:
Ginger contains many different compounds which are health benefits. The major constituents of ginger are carbohydrates, lipids, terpenes, proteins, phenolic compounds such as gingerol; paradols and shogoal.
It also contains fiber, amino acids, vitamins A; nicotinic acid and a few aromatic components which gives ginger the aromatic smell.
GINGER HEALTH BENEFITS:
With the ever ending uses and benefits of ginger; yet sometimes we do tends to forget the minor advantage that we get from ginger and sometimes might even overlook it.
Here are the most common benefits of ginger that you might have known but didn’t really realize it.
1. Ginger aids digestion:
If you have a digestion problem; include ginger in your diet, it helps in digestion. Ginger helps irritable bowels syndrome such as stomach cramps, gas, bloating and constipation.
Having a slice of ginger in your dinner will helps ease stomach problem and prevent further damage to the intestinal tract.
Drinking a cup of ginger tea before bed will help clear out the digestive system and relieve gas.
2. Ginger helps motion sickness:
If you are someone who has motion sickness while traveling by car, bus, or plane; try drinking ginger tea or ginger water before traveling to avoid vomiting.
Researches found that ginger can settle down an upset stomach. You can also eat slice ginger while traveling; It prevents you from getting sick.
3. Ginger prevents nausea and vomiting:
This one of the most widely used benefits of ginger and is widely used as a remedy for early pregnancy. During pregnancy, most women suffer from nausea and vomiting.
Drinking a cup of ginger juice in the morning; helps prevent nausea and vomiting in the morning followed by a light breakfast.
It also reduces inflammation since ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory substance.
4. Ginger prevent and treat GI (gastrointestinal) and pancreatic cancer:
Gingerol and shogoal are the two component that presents in ginger which prevents GI and pancreatic cancer. It is found; that these two compounds inhibit the growth of cancer cell.
In vitro experiment conducted found that 6- shogoal and 6- gingerol suppress the formation of cancer cells in the body.
5. Ginger helps arthritis:
Due to the presence of the various component of gingerols and shogoals in ginger; it helps reduce arthritis pain. These component are rich in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory substances reduce arthritis pain and swelling.
Eating raw fresh ginger every day in your meals is recommended. Ginger can also be eaten dried, powder form or pickled.
6. Ginger reduces pain:
Ginger helps relieves all kind of aches such as a toothache; headache, stomach ache and it even prevent migraines.
It also reduces the inflammation in the blood vessels and thus increases the blood flow in the body which brings relief to pain.
7. Ginger cures colds; cough and flu:
Curing cough with ginger is an old age tradition. Having honey and ginger together helps reduce a sore throat and cure a cold and cough.
Take 1 tablespoon of ginger powder and mixed it with 5 tablespoons of honey and used this a remedy for a sore throat and coughing.
8. Ginger lower blood pressure and cholesterol:
It is found that ginger helps reduce blood pressure by reducing the inflammation caused by the blood vessels; which help the smooth movement of the blood in the vessels.
It also reduces cholesterol as it has the property to burnt out fats.
9. Ginger boost metabolism:
Drinking lemon ginger water boosts the body’s metabolism. As you know water helps in various part of the body’s function; so drinking plain water might be boring to some, instead drink lemon ginger water; it’s refreshing and healthy.
10. Ginger fight infections:
Ginger helps fight many infections especially bacterial infections present in the mouth which is linked to inflammatory gums diseases such as gingivitis. This is because ginger has an anti-bacterial property.
Use a small amount of ginger powder or freshly ground ginger to the affected parts on the body to prevent the spread of infections.
11. Relieves menstrual cramps:
If you suffer from menstrual cramp; then its time you start drinking ginger water or ginger tea a few days before menstrual happens.
This will ease the movement of the blood vessels and makes the inner lining smooth; thus reduces the pain which is caused mainly due to blockage.
Ginger Recipes for making ginger drinks
So, some well-known recipes for making use the best of ginger. These recipes can be used for relieving headache; toothache; stomach issues; pains and vomiting.
GINGER TEA LEMON RECIPE
This is the simplest ginger drinks recipe. It aids digestion; stomach cramps and blood circulation.
HOW TO MAKE:
- Take green or red tea leaves and brew it.
- Add two-three slice of freshly cut ginger and let it boil.
- Then add a slice of lemon too.
- Add honey or sugar to taste.
- Again added 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and stir well
- Drain the tea and Serve while it’s hot. Your ginger lemon tea is ready.
Ginger tea lemon is great for ginger health benefits like stomach upset and cramps.
GINGER ROOT TEA RECIPE
Here you will need a freshly raw ginger root for best results.
HOW TO MAKE:
- Cut fresh ginger root into thin slice. The more the merrier!
- Boil 1 liter of water in a pot.
- When the water starts boiling; put the freshly cut ginger into the water and let it simmered.
- The longer you simmered it, the better is the flavor.
- Add tea leaves and honey when simmering is done.
- The leftover ginger can be used for making ginger tea.
Simmered it for two to three hour and your ginger root tea is ready.
HOW TO MAKE GINGER WATER
- First, grate ginger and put it aside on a bowl.
- Boil 2 glasses of water in a pan.
- When the water starts boiling; put the grated ginger in the water and let it boil slowly for about 1\2 an hour.
- Let the water settle and cool; then drain it in a glass.
- Add honey or sugar-free to taste.
Your ginger water is ready for a drink.
Ginger benefits for skin
So, Ginger health benefits not only for the body but for skin and hair too.
1. Ginger Lemon tea for Beautiful skin:
Ginger reduce pimples and acne. Drink ginger tea for smooth skin.
- Red tea leaves
- Take one peeled ginger and slice it.
- Take 500 ml of water and boil it.
- Add a few red tea leaves to the boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water in a cup and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Add a few drops of lemon and stir.
- Your ginger lemon tea is ready.
- Take it in the morning and your skin will be clear and smooth.
2. Hair care with ginger:
Ginger paste prevents hair loss and helps hair growth.
What you need:
- 2 tablespoon ginger powder
- Enough castor oil to make a paste.
- Take ginger powder in a bowl.
- Add enough castor oil to make a paste.
- Apply on your scalp and hair and leave for 1-2 hour then shampoo with lukewarm water.
3. Weight loss with ginger Water:
Ginger helps in reducing weight loss as it burnt fats faster than any supplement. Make ginger juice today to reduce your body weight.
- One piece of ginger, peeled and cut thin.
- 1 liter of water
- Half a lemon
- Boil the water and add slice ginger into it.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow it to cool and strain the water.
- Add lemon juice to this water.
- Your ginger juice is ready to use.
- Drink it a few minutes before having food.